Monthly Archives: August 2018

Kids as young as 18 months needing rotten teeth pulled because of bad decay

A three-year-old had 11 teeth extracted, and (right) a two-year-old was often given soft drink, which had dissolved the teeth down to the gum, exposing the nerve. Photo: Supplied Toddlers as young as 18 months are having rotting teeth pulled out, and in some cases older children are having all of their baby teeth removed in major operations, dentists say.
南京夜网

Sophie Beaumont, a dentist at Victoria’s public dental hospital, said some children were presenting with blackened teeth and pus-filled gums, suspected to be caused by soft drinks and high sugar diets.

Some parents delayed going to a dentist until their child was in so much pain that the child’s cries were keeping the family awake at night, she said. And some children’s mouths were so bad they had to have all 20 of their baby teeth removed.

“It is very sad because you can imagine the impact on that child when they have to go to school with no teeth and try to function without them. It is quite upsetting,” she said.

“It is not uncommon to be taking out 12 or 14 baby teeth in one go. We would do that quite frequently.”

More than 1000 children throughout the state were put under general anaesthetic at the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne last year, mostly to get multiple decayed teeth removed. Of these, 178 were three or under. This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 南京夜网.

Nurse convicted of child porn crimes free to work in healthcare again

An intensive care nurse convicted of serious child pornography offences involving images of abuse, sadism and bestiality accessed over four years has been allowed to care for patients again.
南京夜网

Peter Omant, 58, of Geelong, was put on professional suspension after Australian Federal Police raided his home uncovering more than 1000 images and videos of children being sexually abused in late 2010.

A Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal decision on Monday reinstated Omant’s registration to practice nursing but attached special conditions, which were called “severe” by his lawyer after five years of suspension.

They include monthly counselling, regular breath tests, a ban from caring for children and working night shifts and require him to make disclosures to prospective employers.

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia referred the allegations of professional misconduct and unprofessional conduct to VCAT but once they were found proven, had not pushed for Omant’s registration to be cancelled.

Omant served an 18-month suspended jail sentence after admitting to three charges of using a carriage service to access child pornography and knowingly possessing child pornography, in 2011.

He was placed on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

In July, a VCAT panel headed by president, Justice Greg Garde, found Omant had also failed his profession’s code of conduct with behaviour that was “unbefitting a nurse” and eroded public confidence in nurses.

Omant completed further nursing qualifications while serving the suspended sentence, which ended in May 2013.  A psychologist who assessed him in April 2013 found there were limited factors to suggest he represented an ongoing risk of sexual offending and argued he should he be allowed to return to nursing.

His offending had been linked to alcohol abuse.

On Tuesday, his lawyer Mark Comito said Omant was rehabilitated and that five years was an “inordinate period of suspension” which had caused him severe financial hardship.

“He has learned from his mistakes in the past and has not transgressed in any way to engage in any similar conduct which was the subject of this particular hearing,” Mr Comito told Fairfax Media.

“He’s ready to enter the workforce and contribute to society once again.”

Mr Comito said Omant was concerned about his ability to get a job due to the “severe” conditions imposed on his registration. “They have serious ramifications for him,” he said.

“The board did not seek the cancellation of his registration but have sought quite severe conditions which he will work towards and endeavour to prove to the profession that he’s worthy to practice.”

A spokeswoman for the board said the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency’s national principals required action taken against members be proportionate and “uses the minimum regulatory force needed to manage risk to the public”.

She said the board supported the outcome, taking into account several factors, which included that he has already served an effective suspension of five years and is banned from working with children.

The VCAT panel in handing down its decision accepted the suspension already served was sufficient and that the conditions imposed on Omant’s registration would “ensure that both he and the public are protected during his transition back to practicing as a registered nurse.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 南京夜网.

Planned demolition of Brooks Jetty saddens St Kilda locals

Brook Jetty in St Kilda, which has been declared unsafe and earmarked for demolition. Photo: Penny StephensThe removal of a pier on the St Kilda foreshore where a jetty has stood since 1894 has angered locals, including relatives of the family that built the structure decades ago.
南京夜网

Demolition of the Brooks Jetty was to commence this week, after Parks Victoria – which manages the St Kilda foreshore – declared it unsafe.

The 70-metre-long, L-shaped jetty was severely damaged by a storm in June 2014 and has remained partially closed since then. “The storm damage that occurred in June last year has made the jetty unsafe for the public to continue using it,” Parks Victoria district manager Graeme Davis said.

Parks Victoria also argues that, since 2010, a no boating zone on St Kilda beach has applied to keep swimmers safe, meaning the water around Brooks Jetty is now off-limits to boats. Mr Davis said Parks Victoria wanted to upgrade facilities at St Kilda Pier, only 600 metres away, and a nearby harbour, instead of rebuilding the jetty.

Port Phillip mayor Amanda Stevens said the council supported Parks Victoria’s decision to demolish the jetty.

There was a fatality in 2008 and there have been several injuries from people diving into the shallow water around the Jetty.

A stormwater drain beneath the jetty will remain in place once the jetty is removed.

Beachgoers at Brooks Jetty in 1930. Photo: State Library of Victoria

Local resident, architect and former Port Phillip councillor David Brand said this was a bad result for the beach.

“We’ve got the entrance to St Kilda Beach that is now going to be the gateway to an outfall drainage pipe,” Mr Brand said. “Is the urban design that the City of Port Phillip has spent millions of dollars on now to be spoilt?”

Mr Brand said the jetty had formed an integral part of the St Kilda beach promenade. “It’s a very beautiful and charming mini-pier. It’s narrow and it’s sweet and it’s a beautiful experience just walking on it.”

Rob Lechmere is a descendant of the family that had built the existing pier (itself a replacement for an earlier structure on the site). He said it would be a sad result if it was demolished this week. “It should stay,” Mr Lechmere said. “It’s not the original pier, so it has been rebuilt before.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 南京夜网.

Stronach calls to demolish Queens Wharf

Newcastle stalwart and prominent developer Keith Stronach.CBD height limits cut: poll
南京夜网

Editorial:Cut down to size

HE doesn’t speak publicly very often, so prominent Newcastle developer Keith Stronach draws a crowd when he does.

He didn’t disappoint the business industry faithful at a meeting of Newcastle Business Club on Tuesday, calling on Newcastle council to demolish the Queens Wharf harbourside complex and start again, calling for greater public discussion on how the city’s planned light rail line could be expanded, calling for the old Newcastle train station to be transformed into an arts and cultural space, and expressing disappointment that his controversial plans for the former Newcastle Bowling Club site remain in limbo.

The Stronach family’s long history in developing and building Newcastle is almost 100 years old and includes construction of the iconic Civic Theatre, the tower of Christ Church Cathedral and, more recently, Merewether Surfhouse and the Arena residential development on Newcastle Beach.

The Queens Wharf Brewery and cafe strip ‘‘should be demolished,’’ he said, and replaced with a harbourside venue that more would use. It needed floating pontoons, he said, to attract more visitors to the city and cater for the growing number of locals who visit the city on weekends.

On the question of city revitalisation, Mr Stronach said he backed the state government’s plans to run its planned light rail line partly down the existing corridor and onto Hunter Street because ‘‘it has to go where the people and businesses are’’.

Keith Stronach’s plan for the site of the old bowling club at King Edward Park which was over ruled by the Land and Environment Court in May.

‘‘We’ve got to think about the next 50 years and not just the next few years,’’ he said.

The six-year battle over the maligned Newcastle Bowling Club site, though, remained his greatest disappointment.

‘‘To be honest, I still find it hard to understand why we couldn’t do something there,’’ he said.

‘‘I only wished I wasn’t forced to, well, part of the agreement with Jodi McKay at the time was to knock that building down. We should have left it there, even though it was in a dilapidated state because it would have been, well, people would have said ‘aren’t you better doing something new rather than leaving that there?’ Hindsight’s great, but contractually I had to demolish it.

‘‘The result of all that is the site is in limbo and will likely be like that for a long time. We can’t proceed with our DA because it’s been deemed invalid and it’s now up to the Department of Lands as to what happens with the site. I still believe it’s a fantastic site so, absolutely, I’d still do it if the opportunity came up again.’

The then NSW Lands Minister Tony Kelly and developer Keith Stronach in November 2009 at the King Edward Park Bowling Club site before it was demolished. Picture: Darren Pateman

Ring-in touch to charity race

Ready to race: Jack O’Shea will be attempting to win the ovarian cancer charity race for the third time in Wodonga on Saturday.FINE Cotton will be running at Wodonga on Saturday and like his notorious namesake not everything will be quite right with him.
南京夜网

This equine imposter, atoy horse, will be part of the Border Ovarian Cancer Awareness Group’s celebrity race which raises money to assist with treatment and research.

It is the third year the event has been held with Fine Cotton’s rider, apprentice carpenter, Jack O’Shea having won the previous two.

He is upbeatdespite having towearankle weights.

“I’ll stack up,” Mr O’Shea said.

“I think I should go alright; I’m not worried about the extra weight.”

The awareness group’s president Heather Watts said the 10 entrants had each paid $1000 to compete in the 200-metre race which will follow the Caulfield Cup on Saturday.

She also announced on Tuesday that cancer trials to be done at the new Border cancer treatment centre would be under the banner of the Kelsey Watts Memorial Research Fund.

It honours her daughter who died of ovarian cancer in 2011.

Mrs Watts said uponthe centre’s opening$100,000 would beraised by her group for research now done at Wodonga’s private hospital.

She also said an awareness lunch would be held on February 6 with guest speakers cancer researcher Professor David Bowtell and oncologist Dr Robyn Sayer.

A motorcycle rally and skydiving will also be held in Wodonga laterthe same month to aid the cause.

Entrants for this year’s celebrity race are:

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 南京夜网.